Are these lines supposed to be there?
Batbarian: Testament of the Primordials
A downloadable game for Windows
*Crash* ...That was the sound of you landing face first in an abyss filled with monsters, traps, and eldritch secrets. But hey, it's ok barbarian, you are not alone: Pip, your best friend -and mysteriously luminous bat- is with you. And it's only by truly working together that you'll be able to solve the abyss' puzzles, fight off its hungry denizens, discover its true purpose and maybe—just maybe—make it out alive with the secrets of the primordials.
“If you like Metroidvanias, you should play this game. If you don’t like Metroidvanias, you should still play this game.”
92/100 – COGconnected
“From the lushly drawn environments and detailed character sprites to the phenomenally atmospheric music that brings the game’s world to life, it’s a hell of an experience and easily one of my favorite indie games of 2020.”
4.5/5 – HeyPoorPlayer
“A wonderfully crafted Metroidvania that should have genre fans plenty excited. It's blending of combat, platforming, and puzzling keeps the gameplay fresh and varied throughout its entire 20-hour story.”
85/100 – PC invasion
Change Pip's elemental aura to block bullets of the opposite element!
- Gain new skills for your barbarian and elemental powers for Pip, the (magic) bat!
- A narrative-driven metroidvania with dialogue choices and plenty of humor and snark.
- Big numbers! 400+ rooms, 20+ hours of evolving gameplay, 10+ bosses, 60+ minutes of music and almost 30,000 words of text that a barbarian would never bother to read!
- RPG elements with a level-up minigame.
- Contains more fruit throwing than probably any other game.
- Companions that join you in your quest and help you out in fights.
- Multiple endings based on your choices and actions.
- The thrown fruit are NOT wasted, they are eaten by the bat (who is magic).
- A ton of secrets and hidden loot just about everywhere.
- The (magic) bat has a whopping FIVE different squeaking sounds!
- Fewer repetitive jokes than this description has.
A controller is recommended for an optimal experience.
Batbarian: Testament of the Primordial is also available for Switch.
|Release date||Oct 15, 2020|
|Tags||2D, Action-Adventure, Dungeon Crawler, Indie, Metroidvania, Multiple Endings, Narrative, Pixel Art, Puzzle-Platformer, Singleplayer|
|Average session||A few hours|
|Languages||English, Spanish; Latin America, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional)|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Xbox controller, Gamepad (any), Playstation controller|
|Accessibility||Subtitles, Configurable controls|
|Links||Steam, Twitter, Twitch, Community|
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $14.99 USD. You will get access to the following files:
- Free Content Update: Richochet Rumble! (and 1.4.2 Patch Notes)35 days ago
- Batbarian: Testament of the Primordials 1.3.0 Patch Notes - Challenges Update!Jun 06, 2022
- Batbarian: Testament of the Primordials 1.2.2 Patch NotesDec 22, 2021
- Batbarian French Language Update! And 1.2.1 Patch NotesNov 15, 2021
- Batbarian: Testament of the Primordials 1.2.0 Patch NotesSep 06, 2021
- Batbarian: Testament of the Primordials 1.1.18 Patch NotesJul 18, 2021
- Batbarian: Testament of the Primordials 1.1.17 Patch NotesJan 20, 2021
- Batbarian: Testament of the Primordials 1.1.16 Patch Notes + Holiday Giveaway!Dec 19, 2020
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Hey there thanks for posting! They're not, it may be because you're not running the game at a multiple of 640x360 (i.e. 720p or 1080p) which is the native res of the pixel art in the game. There's a setting in the video settings to lock the gameplay resolution to 640x360 that which might address things like that, though I don't think there should be too many other occurrences of artifacts like that so up to you. Might be able to take a look at it and come up with another solution at some point, thanks again! And sorry I didn't see this for a month haha.
Batbarian is a Metroidvania-style game with a good sense of style and sound that keeps you engaged. The dialog is fun, and the gameplay is reasonably hard, but with accessible 'assists' to tone it down if desired. Would definitely recommend to those in for a bit of platforming and mild puzzling.
Just hard enough to feel really satisfying when you get something right, but not so hard that you feel like you can't get it.
Please put a playable demo out. This game looks like something I'd
like but I need to feel how it plays first. Also, a LINUX build would rock!
Thanks for listening!
Hey there! If you have accounts elsewhere, there are currently playable demos on Steam and GOG. We will also be at Dreamhack Beyond online festival (July 25th - 31st) with a playable demo there as well!
Thanks for your interest in the game, hope that's helpful in determining if it's right for you!
Puzzle platforming Metroidvania that packs quite the punch. The combat isnt really the focus most of the time and even if the jumping mechanics admittedly feel a bit off and it has some hit or miss humor, the game just works so well as its own thing, that its hard not to fall in love with it once you stumble over some puzzles and genuinely interesting rewards that give a proper spelunking mood. Add a pleasant soundtrack, rewarding exploration and secrets and some really nice pixel art on top, and this easily is among the games I most likely would want to buy and play on Switch outside of these impressions to really dig into its 20 hour campaign. Incredibly well designed. 4,5/5
Possibly the most epic game title I have ever come across!